Tuesday, November 30, 2010

On Ester and Mabel

So, has anyone seen Wanda Sykes comedy routine where she names her gut "Ester" and discusses how her gut dictates what she eats and demands carbs such as bread and desserts? She even talks about how Ester will roll down her Spanx and attempt to make and appearance during important events. It's hilarious.

Well, I found this inspirational and decided I needed to name my gut, especially after being pregnant and now having that extra skin around my midsection. Therefore, I would like to announce Mabel. (Noteworthy: I had trouble deciding on a name. I was really leaning towards Duncan as in Dunkin' Doughnuts...but I decided my gut was a female, giving it a male name just felt, well, wrong.)

I have noticed Mabel gets in the way of things now. She likes to hang out at the top of my pants, and wave hello. She also likes to get my yoga pants to roll down, and cause me to want to wear a size bigger in pants just so my pants don't touch or rub her the wrong way. It is rather annoying.

Despite breastfeeding, I have noticed that I can't seem to get all of my pregnancy weight off. My body is just clinging to the last few pounds, as if all hell will break loose if my body were to let them go.

Now, let me share my story.

I am in Target, wearing a red top (big mistake) and black yoga pants. I am standing in the baby section debating over different bottle brushes when some lady walks up to me and says "Can you tell me where the diapers are?"

Assuming she is asking me because of my red shirt I answer, "Actually, I don't work here but I do know where they are".

To which she replies in a bubbly voice, "Oh I know, I just saw your little bump and knew that you would know".

Err.. what?!?

Seriously???

I bit my lip and walked her to the diapers, all the while silently wondering if it was THAT noticable and if I was bending over or not sucking in or...SOMETHING.

I might have corrected her if she wasn't so darn nice and bubbly, and seemed so genuinely excited for me.

Oh well. Reality check! Better keep hittin' up that gym!

And note to self: I will never, ever, ever assume that anyone is pregnant!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you sister! I keep reminding myself that it took me 9 months to put it on and it will take a little bit to come off. I'm almost there but things just aren't the way they used to be! ;) I do not know about you but until about 3 weeks ago, I was STARVING all the time! It's getting better but I still have this huge craving for chocolate, especially after nursing! I swear that I have more cravings while nursing then I did pregnant!

    ReplyDelete