Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11

I can't believe it's been ten years.

Ten years ago today, it was a Tuesday morning and I was late for my Family Relations and Child Development class. It was held in a HUGE conference room with a redheaded professor that had boring lectures and even harder tests. (Well, I didn't yet know that second part). She made an announcement at the beginning of class, stating there had been an attack but we were expected to be fine here in Stillwater. None of us knew what she was talking about. Apparently she didn't think it was a big deal, as she refused to dismiss us and continued with her lecture.

Because of this, I initially thought nothing of it. I hightailed it home after class, my curiosity peaked. My roommate, Malissa, and I sat in our horse stall sized dorm room, eyes glued to the news. Was this really happening?

It all seemed so surreal. No one knew what to expect. No one knew what to do. Such a strange feeling of confusion and shock throughout the country.

And now ten years later I look back and remember how tragic and heartless this attack was on the USA. And like the OKC bombing, we don't want to forget. We want to remember those victims. Those victims' families. We want to remember the heroes. We want to recognize how we banded together as a nation and supported each other in way that we never have before.

Watching all of the ten year anniversary stories, I feel that lump in my throat. The firefighter who purposely selected his wedding day to be nine-one-one who lost his life on that tragic day, the heroes wrestling terrorists down on United 93, firefighters dirty with debris raising the American flag to fly overhead; reminding of us of our resilience and unity.

Such a hard and scary time for our nation. It still stings. But it drew us together as a nation. And it drew us closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment