Monday, July 16, 2012

Sick

I just finished a post late last week about my amazing dog and how important she is to me.

And then she got sick.

It was very out of character for her. She never gets sick. She threw up Saturday and we chalked it up as something not agreeing with her. She woke us up as much as a newborn to let her diarrhea out that night. It continued all Sunday. But the scary part was when the diarrhea turned to blood Sunday afternoon.

Very scary. And very unusual for my healthy dog!

My mom went with me to take my sickly Pearl to the emergency vet. They poked and prodded and x-rayed my fur baby. It could have been a variety of things, blockage or torn lining or bacterial infection. All signs pointed to bacterial infection when the x-ray came back clear. She was given three shots, one of an antibiotic, one of an anti-nausea and one of fluids. They said most people would opt to leave the dog overnight, but due to Pearls separation anxiety seizures and her being "skittish" in the back during x-rays, they figured it was best for her to be managed on an outpatient basis.

Honestly, best for her AND my pocketbook. ;)

After we got the okay to go and paid the small fortune in fees, we happily headed home.

Pearl is still on the mend but increasingly better now that she has some medicine in her system. Hopefully her diarrhea will be gone by tomorrow and the antibiotic will get rid of the bacteria.

It may have cost me an arm and a leg, but for my firstborn it was SO worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, poor girl. That is so sad! I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete